Saturday, May 9, 2009

Parenting Observations!

By

I have been a Parent now since July of 2007. Although I had my concerns about how adequate of a parent I would become, I have since realized that I could definitely be worse. Before you freak out, let me explain myself further. I do not feel that my daughter is any more special than any other child. These observations are drawn from personal experiences.

Many parents have indicated to me that their child doesn't do the things they see my daughter doing. For Example: while conversing with a clerk in a store last week,
my daughter kept asking for a “Bee Bop.” That's her term for a Tootsie Roll Pop. As I kept explaining to my daughter that she could have a “Bee Bop” when she gets home, the clerk expressed that she wished her son would talk that much. I inquired about his age and was astonished when she said he is almost FOUR YEARS OLD! I did not know how to reply to her. This is only one instance of multiple occasions this has occurred. It isn't always about how much she talks. It is sometimes about how clear she talks or just simply that she jabbers on incessantly. It is sometimes about how animated she is with her expressions and gestures. Each time something like this occurs, I find myself in an awkward position and state “Oh, He (or she) will get there.”

Now, I admit, I am not the best parent, but every action I take, I attempt to make it with my daughter's best interest in mind. Do I always succeed? NO! NO! And NO! My daughter pulled the cookies off the counter yesterday morning and ate four of them before it was realized. Is it OK that she did this???? I think YES! Once in a while it is OK to have Cookies, Cake, Pie or Pizza for Breakfast! Everything in Moderation! Thats the lesson that it will teach her! I hope that someday that lesson will hold true someday! Maybe when she is old enough to consume alcoholic beverages, it will be there to prevent her from an over indulgence that may lead to dependency! Even at this VERY moment while I type this, my daughter is watching Horton Hears a Who and POUNDING on my Rock Band Drum Set!! But very soon, it will be Bath Time, Story Time and then Bed Time!

Some may think that I have a relaxed method of parenting from what t
hey have read so far, but that is far from accurate. I was adopted into a home of strict Catholics. I clearly set boundaries and ALWAYS follow through with any and all promises or ultimatums I state. Nap Time is Nap Time. Bed Time is Bed Time. Yes is Yes and NO is NO.

So, here it is: Parenting isn't about WHAT you know or HOW you deal with the issue of the day! It's about Setting an Example! Spending Time with your Children! How Better to set an Example than to Spend Time Together??? If Children see you read, (even the newspaper) they will want to read too! If they see you plopped in front of the TV stuffing popcorn and Ho-Ho's in your face, what do YOU think they'll end up doing?? I have finally started asking questions of these people that speak of their child's inadequacy. They don't seem to care for the questions I ask. The sad thing is this: I'm not asking tough questions! They just don't seem to want to hear that they, as parents, may be the source of their children's development issues. Maybe if enough of us start asking those tough questions when we are presented the opportunity, it might change one child's life after some parent gets annoyed enough with all the questions.
And after returning to writing this after just giving my little girl a Bath, Reading her a Story, Getting the Sweetest Hug and Kiss and Hearing her say “Love You Too Much Too Daddy!” I feel hope in my abilities as a productive parent, feel proud to have created such a beautiful creature as my daughter, and renew my Daily Vow to give her as much Love and Attention as I can each day of my life.

No comments: